Features and History
The Institute of Environmental Health, established in August 1996, was originally the Division of Environmental Health and Management in the Institute of Public Health (IPH). The Institute of Public Health was organized in 1951 based on the Institute of Tropical Medicine, which was established in Japanese ruling era. In its early stage, the IPH filled the role of conducting public health research and training the on-the-job personnel for local public health services. In 1961, the IPH began to provide two master programs, the Preventive Medicine and the Public Health. In 1985, the IPH initiated the Ph.D. programs including the Environmental Health Program for training specialists in environmental health. To meet the needs of the society, the Ministry of Education authorized the establishment of the Division of Environmental Health and Management in 1991. The division disaffiliated itself from the IPH to become the Institute of Environmental Health (IEH) in August 1996. In 1998, the Ph.D. program, original part of the IPH programs, was also incorporated into the newly established IEH.